Yuvaraja's College is one of the oldest colleges in the state of Karnataka and the only constituent science college of the University of Mysore. It has not only contributed to the cause of higher education but has also been instrumental in molding the future of thousands of youth who are now spread all over the world. It is rendering yeoman service for social betterment through education.
This college aims at not only imparting education, but also character building and strives incessantly for the all-round development of the personalities of young students. It spares no pains at instilling in them leadership qualities and motivating them to be a source of inspiration to others. The motto of this college is to mould the young into conscientious and responsible citizens with intellectual excellence and integrity.
A substantial number of students from the SC-ST and other backward communities are given admission into the college, adhering to the Reservation Policy of the State and Central Governments. There are to a major part students , whose parents cannot provide higher education to their wards due to financial constraints. They are thus benefited to a great extent.
The replacement of the Mysore University Regulation (V) of the 1916 by Regulation -VI of 1927, providing the establishment of intermediate colleges by the University from 1st July, 1928 enabled the Government to start intermediate colleges at Mysore, Bangalore, Tumkur & Shimoga. This resulted us a quantum jump in the number of institutions providing higher education in the state. Yuvaraja's College was one among them, which was started as an IntermediateCollege.
In the year 1927, His Highness Sri Krishnaraja Wodeyar generously sanctioned the building for the Intermediate College. The foundation-stone for the structure was laid on 8th August 1927 by the eminent thinker and scholar Rajatantra Pravina Sir Brajendranath Seal, the then Vice-chancellor. The foundation stone was laid in the presence of a distinguished gathering which included amongst others, Sir Mirza Ismail, the then Dewan of Mysore, Pandit Motilal Nehru, father of our distinguished first Prime Minister Pandit Jawaharalal Nehru and Mahamokhopadhyaya Sidhanthi Shivashankara Shastry. After the completion of the construction of the main block in 1928, a two-year Intermediate Course in Arts & Science was introduced on 24th June, 1928 and thus the college began its eventful career.
Initially, students who qualified in the University entrance examination were admitted into the Senior Intermediate class and the candidates who were eligible for the course were admitted into the Junior Intermediate. With the dawn of independence in the year 1947, the college was upgraded to a First Grade College.
During the years 1951 - 54, additions to the main block of the college were made on the western side. Since there were well-equipped laboratories and competent faculty, the college took up the task of conducting classes for the pre-medical students of the Government Medical College, Mysore, the science students of Maharani's college and the Ayurvedic College, Mysore.
M.Sc., Courses too were conducted in the college prior to the year 1960. Due to certain changes in the Education Policy and increase in the number of students, these courses were discontinued and only B.Sc. course was retained. In the year 1954, the Silver Jubilee of the college was celebrated and the last Maharaja of the erstwhile princely state of Mysore, His Highness Sri Jaya Chamaraja Wodeyar inaugurated it. To commemorate the occasion, the college was rechristened "YUVARAJA'S COLLEGE", as His Highness himself was a student of the intermediate course in this hallowed institution during 1934 - 1936. In a short span of 25 years of pioneering service in the field of higher education, the college developed extensively and earned the admiration and approval of the intellectual world.
In 1989, the Diamond jubilee of the college was celebrated on a grand scale. The celebrations were inaugurated on 28th Dec 1989 by Sri E S Venkataramaiah, the then Chief-justice of India who was also an alumni of the college. The distinguished guests included Prof B V Srikantan, a great Physicist, Prof Y P Rudrappa, former Vice- chancellor, Padmabhushan Veene Doreswamy Iyengar, etc., The service of the college to the society and its striking achievements in diverse fields, made the occasion a glorious one. Under the chairmanship of Dr.P. Selvidas, the then Vice-chancellor of the University, seminars, a Poets' meet and a host of cultural activities were conducted.
Yuvaraja’s College, Mysore is an Autonomous Constituent college of University of Mysore. Established in the year 1928 , the College celeberated its Platinum Jublee in 2003, completing 75 years of its dedicated service to the people of Karnataka. To mark the Platinum Jublee the College celeberated year long programmes and activites during 2003-04 with a colourful inauguration by Dr.V.Prakash, the then Director of Central Food Technological Research Institute (CFTRI), Mysore. Some of the distinguished activities include Science Exhibition, Inter-collegiate Quiz and Debate competitions, State level Seminars and Workshops etc. A Platinum Jublee Auditorium was also built by raising funds from defferent donors. The celebration was concluded by the gracious presence of His Excellency the Governor of Karnataka, Sri T.N.Chaturvedi on the valedictory celebration on 20-03-04.
Being granted the status of an Autonomous Institution in the year 2005, the College is also accredited by National Assessment and Accreditation Council (NAAC) in 2009. The College also was recognized as a Centre for Potential for excellence by UGC.
Ever since its inception, this college has been known for quality education. The College registered a galaxy of eminent and committed teachers who made their name both in India and abroad and contributed their mite in taking this institution to great heights.
Our institution has been accredited with Four Stars in 2001 for a period of five years by the National Assessment and Accreditation Council .